Skip to main content

Site announcement!

Hi all! 

I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day! 

I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects that they have expressed interest in! 

The living situation is very different from what I experienced at CBT (community based training) for the past month and I was in shock when I found out that I wouldn't be living with a host family and that I would have such a nice flat. But I really think it's the best of both worlds in terms of independence and also having a family connection. I'm happy I'll get to cook for myself! The placement is in a region that is pretty far out there, as you can see on the map, so that shocked me a bit at first, too. It gets really, really hot in the far north, so I'm bracing myself for that! Despite the site being pretty different than my expectations, I am thrilled with the placement and can't wait to be there in one short week! My school's principal will come to Okahandja (where we're training) for a workshop for a few days and then to take me to my new home! Eeee! 

The language proficiency test went well too. We got the results today, and I scored right at the required benchmark! I'm hoping to get a tutor at site and keep learning Oshiwambo. It's hard to learn a language in a country where English is the official language, but it's so important for integration and learning the culture that I'm planning to keep studying and learning. 

That's all for now-- I may try and write once more before I move to my new home next Friday! Also, on Thursday, we will have a swearing-in ceremony and become official PCVs! My group is performing a traditional song and dance (the one from the video I shared)... Stay tuned for a video of us! 

Thanks for reading! I hope you are well. Sending hugs, laughs, and love!

Comments

  1. Hi Christy! I thought you were learning Oshindonga? Is this a switch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mom! Good eye! Oshiwambo is the umbrella term used to describe all of the dialects in the north. So, saying that I'm learning Oshindonga is just being specific and saying which dialect of Oshiwambo I'm learning. However, with this placement I will be switching dialects! I'll be switching to Oshimbalanhu, but it's still an Oshiwambo dialect... Hopefully it isn't too different!

      Delete
  2. Super cool, Christy! Love reading about what you are doing. Please keep us posted on all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. T! I appreciate the message and the support. I'll do my best to keep up with the blogging! Hope you are well! :)

      Delete
  3. Do you have a new mailing address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LN! How are you?! Yes, I will have a new mailing address. When my supervisor comes for the workshop next week, I will ask if it's okay if I use the school P.O. Box, or if I should get my own with some other volunteers in the region. Once I have a new address, I'll post it! For now, it's probably best to hold off until I know the new address. Thanks LN!

      Delete
  4. Great update Christy! Thinking of you and praying for you and your PC adventure and service back in Glenview! Love and hugs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! I so appreciate the support, interest, and prayers! ❤️

      Delete
  5. This is so awesome! I love being able to read up on your adventures!! Can't wait to hear about your placement and how the teaching is going! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrellen! I love staying updated on your life via snapchat! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you