Skip to main content

Week 3 in Okahandja

Hi again!

It’s been a very nice week here in Okahandja. Last weekend, we went to Windhoek (the capital) for a field trip on Saturday. Last week’s post was long enough, so I thought I’d include it in this week’s! The trip was a ton of fun. We took a coach bus down there and went to the Hero’s Memorial, commemorating the fallen heroes in the battle for Namibia’s independence. This past Wednesday was Heroes’ Day, a national holiday, so they were busy preparing for events that were going to take place at the memorial on Wednesday. We then went to a mall in Windhoek to pick up any items we needed and to eat lunch. The mall was insane! It was a very fancy indoor mall, largely reminiscent of Northbrook Court (except with stores that were actually affordable). I got a salad for lunch and was ecstatic to see so much green! The salad also had half an avocado on it, which of course made me SO happy! (Side note: I think I almost cried when I first saw avocados in the grocery store here. So happy to know that I won’t have to go two years without my favorite food!) After the mall, we went to Single Quarter market, which was an outdoor market with lots of different vendors, most of them selling cooked meat. It was quite an experience! I tried street meat, a mopane worm (like a caterpillar), a fermented millet drink, and lots of other things. Check out my instagram or facebook for a photo! Instagram.com/cnichols484

I had a lazy Sunday last weekend and enjoyed catching up on some sleep. This week’s training was a bit slow moving, but the week passed quickly. We learned a lot in our language classes and also learned about safe transportation in Namibia, as well as lots of cultural information. For example, no singing or dancing while eating. And no smelling food! And if you’re giving someone else food or drink at your house, you must taste it first from their plate so as to “prove” that you aren’t giving them bad food!  Also, underwear are a very taboo item here. You wash them daily when you shower and must hang them to dry in your bedroom—you can’t even wash them with the rest of your clothes, because someone could see them! Needless to say, you can’t hang them outside either.

This weekend was a lot of fun. We had a traditional cooking day on Saturday at the town hall, aka our training center. We broke up into language groups to cook traditional food from our language regions. My group, the Oshiwambo group, cooked corn and millet porridge (you use a little ball of it as a doughy utensil to eat the rest of the food), mopane worms, beans, Oshiwambo spinach, and chicken. We were given five live chickens when we got there and our group had to slaughter them! I watched from a slight distance as the braver ones in our group stepped up to the challenge. After the chickens lost their heads, they were dipped in boiling water to help make the feathers come off easier. I helped a bit with plucking the feathers and cleaning the chickens. We then watched our Namibian host mothers and teachers expertly butcher the chickens! We cooked every bit of them. (I took a very normal looking piece when it was time to eat!) One group had to slaughter two goats. That was a tricky one to observe—it was sad watching the goats go, especially because we had seen them corralled near our language classroom all week! But I have to say, the goats were tasty! Another group cooked goat heads and tripe—I passed right by that table without going for any of it! There was a ton of tasty food too though! We ate like kings and queens and left with very full bellies!

I slept in this morning (Sunday) and as soon as I left my room, my host mom said that I needed to gather my dirty clothes and she and I were doing laundry! So, first thing, we got all of our clothes clean. Laundry here takes some more time—hand washing everything is a slow process! There’s one bucket with soap, another to rinse, and a third with fabric softener. After each article of clothing passes through all three buckets (and spends some time getting worked on in each), you have to shake out the wrinkles and hang it. So, it took my host mom and I about 2 hours to do our laundry. After laundry, we came inside and started cooking lunch! We made brown rice with some mixed veggies blended in, as well as chicken, beets, carrots, and sweet potatoes. A typical meal in my host family is rice, carrots, cabbage, some sort of meat, and a soup with potatoes to pour over the whole plate for flavor. It’s very tasty!

After eating lunch and cleaning up, I read, took a quick nap, and then met up with 3 other volunteers to walk to the mall in Okahandja. We mostly just wanted to see if we could successfully walk to the mall without getting lost, since we’d never done it before! If we can get to the mall, then we know how to walk to our training center, so that gives us some more options for getting to and from training. We successfully made it to the mall! Unfortunately by the time we got there it was already closed, so we just grabbed a cool drink (the term here for soda/juice) from the gas station and sat in the shade before returning home. It was really nice to get out of the house and be active! It was about a 20 minute walk each way. On the way back, Alene (another PCV) and I were “attacked” by a group of neighborhood kids who ran at us and hugged us and started asking us all sorts of questions. They were very intrigued by our piercings, our Nalgene water bottles (they drank the rest of mine!), and our watches and rings. They were really sweet kids and we spent a while talking to them. It’s good to know a few of the neighborhood kids now! Maybe I can convince some of them to go on a run with me this week J

On Saturday, I’ll be heading up to the North (to Owamboland) for training for the next four weeks. I’m not sure what the internet/cell service situation will be like, so if I fall off the grid, please don’t worry! We’ll be staying in traditional homesteads, with pit latrines and bucket baths, so it’ll definitely be a change! I look forward to updating you guys on how it is!


That’s all for now! My host dad just stopped in and told me to tell you all that he says hello to you all and that they are very happy to have me in their home. I’m very happy too! Hope you all had a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,