Skip to main content

Reflections thus far

Hello again, my lovely friends and family!

Sorry it’s been a while since my last post. I think I’ll post twice this week to make up for it :)

I realized that I never posted about our Swearing-In Ceremony where we became official Peace Corps Volunteers, so I’ll do a quick paragraph on that day. We swore in on October 15th in the dining hall at the retreat center where we stayed for our first two weeks in Namibia—the location made it all come full circle! The hall was decorated beautifully and transformed into a formal venue. We were fortunate enough to have many special guests, including a high ranking official from the Ministry of Education, the Peace Corps Namibia Country Director, and the United States Ambassador to Namibia. It was an emotional day where we all took our formal oath of service and collectively made all of our dreams of becoming Peace Corps Volunteers a reality. Many of the language groups dressed up in traditional attire from their tribal region; I dressed up in a pink Wambo dress and head wrap! See the photo below. (These dresses are now typically just worn by the older women—younger people just wear a skirt in this pattern, as it’s more fashionable. I decided to go all-out old lady Wambo for this event though!) The picture is with my wonderful language group from training, who have grown to become fantastic friends and an amazing support system. I don’t know what I’d do without these guys!


My fellow PCV friends and I have grown close very quickly as a result of this crazy shared experience. We can send each other texts, completely out of context, like “my kuku wouldn’t let me leave without a chicken,” which means “I went to visit my Wambo host grandmother’s homestead, and due to Namibian hospitality norms, she wouldn’t let me leave without taking a live chicken with me, since she didn’t serve me one while I was there.” The ease with which we can communicate, due to shared cultural knowledge, is really comforting. We’ve started to develop a bit of our own vocabulary, too. For example, “tippy toe,” through a long and unimportant series of events, has come to mean “my butt/legs are so sweaty that it has soaked through my pants so I can’t get out of my chair since I’m in public.” That’s how hot it is here. Every. Damn. Day.

As you can see, I clearly haven’t lost my sense of humor in all of this! In fact, I think I’m learning very well to laugh at the unexpected and roll with the punches. For example, while sick and lightheaded at the end of last week, I moved my large suitcase to get my medical kit out of it. What did I find underneath my luggage? Why a scorpion, of course. My first encounter with one was, of course, inside of my apartment while I was lightheaded! I did my best to react quickly, kill it, panic for a few minutes, and then laugh it off after a few minutes of “THE UNIVERSE IS NOT ON MY SIDE TODAY” anger. All in an average Thursday here in Omusati.

On the subject of killing scary/harmful intruders, I’m starting to think that I’m generating a lot of negative karma due to the amount of insect and other small creatures’ lives I’ve taken! In the past week alone, I’ve killed a scorpion, dozens of ants, 5-6 cockroaches, a spider about the size of my palm (legs included in size), about 7 of that spider’s babies, and a small gecko. I felt particular remorse about the gecko, but my coworkers told me I needed to kill it because it chews holes in your clothes… and lord knows a PCV’s budget doesn’t allow for replacing an entire wardrobe! Fingers crossed that the whole volunteering thing balances out the karmic scales.

Another topic that I’ve been thinking about a lot is waste generation. In the US, you throw your garbage in a big bag, bring it to the can outside, and bring it to the street. A truck comes by to take it and boom, it magically disappears! No longer your problem; its final destination not even something you have to consider. On the other hand, here in the village, you must burn all of your trash. I collect my trash in a small grocery bag and take it out to the designated burning spot every few days to burn my trash. I often feel guilty about the plastic containers from products I’ve consumed and how it’s harmful to be burning these and putting the chemicals into the air. When the industrial distance is removed and you have to conduct these processes yourself, it makes you think twice about your consumption.

For a final note, here’s another concept that I’ve come to know differently in Namibia: sharing. I’ve always thought of myself as someone who is generous and always offers to share with others. However, since being here, I’ve learned that I’m a lot more selfish than every Namibian I’ve met. There’s a common saying here that is “in Africa, we share.” And people take it very seriously! Here, it’s impolite to eat or drink anything in the company of others without offering it to them as well. Never mind that you are only planning to eat a small hard candy… you better make sure you have enough for everyone before you bust yours out! Or if you buy a small bottle of juice or coke (what I would consider an “individual sized” bottle or can), you should expect to share it with 1-10 people. It’s very much a culture of sharing what little you may have. I think it’s really beautiful. I’m doing my best to adapt and also remember to buy a bigger bag or bottle than I want, so I have enough to share an satisfy my wants, too!

That’s all for now, folks. Keep an eye out for a post with pictures of my awesome flat this week!

Best wishes for health and happiness to you all!

Love,
Christy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,