Skip to main content

A tale of a Monday in Oshikulufitu

A little tidbit from my day:

While teaching grade 7B during period 7 (there are 8 periods per day), a group of about 15 learners from 6A, my next lesson, ran up and were standing outside the door. 

6A learner: "Miss! At your house, there's a snake! At the tap!"
Me: "In the sink behind my house?"
All of the learners: "Yes, Miss!"
Me: "Ok... Did anyone try to kill it?"
Them: "No, Miss!"
Me, sheepishly: "...does anyone want to go kill it?"
Them, all in unison: "Yes, Miss!"  

And the whole pack of 15 kids ran off in the direction of my house. Grade 7B and I got back to our discussion of the word "balance," as a noun and a verb, one of our new vocabulary words for the week. 

Just as we had moved on to the word "transplant," the gaggle of grade 6's returned to the classroom door. 

6A learner: "Miss, the snake isn't die."
Me: "Why not?"
Another learner, looking like she was at a loss for words: "It went into the fire extinguisher."
Me, trying to guess what a fire extinguisher could be: "Uhhh, you mean the big white cage on the back of my house where there are gas cylinders?"
6A, in chorus: "Yes, miss!!!!"
Me: "Hmm. Let's go get help."

At that point, there were only four minutes of period 7 left, so I left the grade 7s to fend for themselves. The grade 6s and I were off to the staff room for reinforcements! I entered, and (while laughing) told the whole story to two of my colleagues. They both leapt up into action and were outraged that all the learners came back-- not one of them stayed to at least keep and eye on the snake's whereabouts! 

We headed over to my flat (a ~1 minute walk from the office) and started to boil water, which was my colleagues' idea of how to chase the snake away from its hiding place. Once the water was boiled I joined my two colleagues and the ~15 excited (and terrified) learners in my backyard. Itumba poured the boiling water in from the side while Shivolo was armed with a big stick, ready to beat that snake! It immediately started weaving it's way up the side of the cage away from the boiling water. A few good whacks with the stick later, the snake (and my neighbor's window) were both done for. The learners then argued over who was going to be the one to use the stick to carry the dead snake over to the trash pit! 

I then looked at my watch and saw that the grade 6As and I had used up nearly all of our class time in the snake hunt. Ah, well. When you live in Namibia, the presence of a poisonous snake is a priority! Anyway, I went and gave the kids an abridged English class during their study period after school. All is well that ends well! You certainly never know here what life has in store for you or when a snake might just decide to chill out in your sink!

Comments

  1. Glad you have an army looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have an army looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. There's nowhere like Africa. I would scour that entire countryside for animals I'd never seen in the wild or never seen period. To my moms worry unfortunately haha sorry Aunt Peggy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,