Skip to main content

Daily Schedule

Hi all!

It's been a while since my last post. Oops! Thanks to Molly for calling me out on it and encouraging me to get back at it :)

So, just to give you a window into my daily life, here's my average day:

6:30-- Rise and shine! (Or in my case, press the snooze button ~5 times and groggily, begrudgingly awake from slumber.)
6:31-- Put on the kettle for coffee. (First thing, because you never know when the electricity will go out!)
6:30-7:00-- Shower (yes, I have an actual shower... and YES I have hot water. I'm very spoiled. This is not normal in PC Namibia. #poshcorps) and get ready for the day!
7:00-7:30-- Eat breakfast (oatmeal, cornflakes, or yogurt and granola), do dishes, last minute prep before school.
7:30ish-- Head to school!
8:00-- School starts. There are 8 periods a day, 5 days a week. That's 40 periods a week. I teach 28 periods a week, so you get the idea. Average of 5.6 periods taught per day. When I'm not teaching, I'm marking (grading), lesson planning, blogging, doing Peace Corps paperwork, etc.
11:20-11:50-- Tea break time! I run home quickly and grab a small snack for "lunch."
1:50-- School ends. Work does not!
4:00-- Typically around the time that I throw in the towel with marking for the day and head home!

After school activities vary. Sometimes, I do yoga and run! Sometimes, I go to town and do grocery shopping. Sometimes, I hang out at one of the other teacher's flats. Sometimes, I read. Sometimes, I keep marking (grading). Sometimes, I chat on the phone with other PCVs. Sometimes, I chat over the internet with family and friends at home. Sometimes, I watch TV shows or movies on my computer. Sometimes, I journal (rare occasion). Who knows!

5:30-- Start cooking dinner (this is early so the heat from the stove can find its way out before nighttime).
6:30-- Eat!
9:30-- In bed because I'm a grandma and I live in the village.

There you have it... a very general description of my average day here in Oshikulufitu, Omusati, Namibia!

Please comment with things you'd like to hear about in my next blog post! I'll try and get another one up next week before the long holiday/term break comes. Speaking of which, I am SO EXCITED to hike Fish River Canyon with a bunch of PCV friends and ALSO see Caitlin and Elyssa (two friends from home who are PCVs in Tanzania) and my parents (!!!) in Tanzania in May!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,