Skip to main content

Teacher Strike

Hello, my lovely blog readers!

I strive to keep you updated on my life here in Namibia and thought that you may want to be updated on the situation here as well. At present, we are on the verge of what appears to be an impending teachers' strike in Namibia. This could have enormous implications on the country of Namibia and a small impact on my service as well.

Here's the story. So, the Namibian National Teachers' Union (NANTU) is requesting an 8% raise for all teachers in Namibia, mainly because of the rising cost of living. The Government of Namibia has said that they cannot afford this raise this school year and will offer a 5% raise this year and a 7% raise next year. NANTU then pointed out that the senior officials in the Ministry of Education received a ~26% raise this year, so the point about not having enough funds seemed a bit off. Due to dissatisfaction to the government's reasoning, NANTU decided to have all members vote either for or against striking until the 8% is received. Well, the results of the vote were officially announced on Monday (19 September), and NANTU voted 95.1% in favor of the strike--an overwhelming majority. The government has stated that teachers will not receive pay or healthcare benefits while on strike. The government has also said that the strike would be illegal. It's currently a heated debate between both sides and is in the news daily, as well as being a common topic of conversation.

I've heard different things about when the strike could start-- as soon as this week to 12 days from now-- but regardless, a strike could seriously affect the grades 10 and 12 national examinations that are slated to start in just over two weeks. It could cost the government a lot of money to reschedule these examinations and could also cause a great deal of stress for the learners who don't know when they're writing their exams.

Peace Corps has already sent letters to our supervisors stating that in event of a strike, volunteers are required to stay home, as Peace Corps in not a political organization and as such, we cannot either support or oppose the strike. PC doesn't want us breaking the metaphorical picket lines. They also don't want us to support the teachers' side. They want us to keep our pie holes shut on the topic (which is why you'll notice that my post is [hopefully] devoid of my opinion). It's easy to see both sides of the issue... inflation is real and housing & food prices have increased significantly. On the other side, an 8% raise for all current teachers, and committing to that for future years as well, is a significant financial burden for the government.

I'll leave it at that... just a brief overview of what's going on in my host country! Check out these articles in the Namibian if you want to read more on the issue:

http://www.namibian.com.na/Teachers-dare-Govt-vote-for-strike/45670/read

http://www.namibian.com.na/index.php?id=101729&page=archive-read

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,