Skip to main content

Next Project!

Hello all!

Hopefully you had a chance to check out my last post all about Serve 2 Lead. This week's post (yes, I'm posting two consecutive weeks!) is about the next youth development project that I have coming up.

As you may remember from last year, I am a camp facilitator for Camp GLOW (Girls and Guys Leading our World), which takes place each August in Windhoek. It's a week-long camp for 44 Namibian school children from all regions to develop their leadership, communication, empathy, and teamwork skills. It also focuses on breaking down the gender norms and tribalism that is very present in Namibian society. The camp is completely free for learners, so that cost won't prevent them from gaining a life-changing experience. Most of the kids who attend camp are categorized as "Orphans or Vulnerable Children." Our fundraising page was recently posted, so if you're interested in making a difference in a child's life and development & supporting our work in Namibia, please consider donating! Any amount helps, whether it's $5, $50, or even $500!

Please follow this link to support us:
https://donate.peacecorps.gov/donate/project/camp-glow-namibia-2017/

Many thanks for reading! If you are able to donate, many, many thanks for that, too!

PS: I won't have access to the donor list until after the grant closes, so my apologies for the delayed thanks that I will give you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you