Skip to main content

Leah’s Visit!!!!!

It’s not everyday that your bestie comes halfway across the world to visit you. That’s why December 14th was one of the best days ever!!! It had been so long in the making that it almost seemed impossible when the day arrived.

I had been in Windhoek for a VSN (Volunteer Support Network) training & meeting and I dipped out early that day to go and rent a car and pick Leah up at the airport. The car rental was a bit of a process, so I was slightly late for getting Leah. But when we found each other, both peeking our heads around a corner in search of the other, it all got so real! We exchanged a tear-filled bear hug and quickly jumped into the car to start our road trip to Etosha National Park! (Yes, I’m that cruel of a host. After 36 hours of traveling, I made Leah get into the car to start a road trip!)

Some roadtrip scenery


After we were about halfway to the gate of Etosha, we came to realize that we weren’t going to make it to the gate before the sun went down, which is synonymous with the gate closing time. And since we had prepaid our hotel that was inside the gate, we decided to speed a bit. I, ehem, won’t say how fast, but the good news is that we didn’t hit a warthog and we made it in time to get in! This was the first of Leah and I’s many misadventures.

When we arrived at the gate, it was actually already closed. However, I pulled our little Polo Vivo up really close and waited; I could see figures on the other side of the gate. Quickly, a man cracked the gate and asked, “Yes?” to which I replied with a very friendly greeting in Namlish (Namibian English) with a lot of respect markers. I also snuck a bit of Oshiwambo in there and he and another colleague decided to make an exception and let us in. Phew! As we were pulling away, they shouted that we still had to make it inside of the gate of our camp, which also closed at sundown. My internal monologue at that point was something along the lines of: Are freaking you kidding me? There’s another gosh darn gate? I have to speed again, this time while in a national park with lions and elephants and antelope galore? And if we don’t make it in the next gate, we’re stuck out here all night?!?!?!?!!??! (Note: the actual dialogue may have had a bit more “French” in it.)

But alas, my dear blog readers, we made it safely. And I continued to schmooze a bit and use Oshiwambo with the check in staff and somehow it resulted in Leah and I being upgraded to a private bungalow. Thus began our “honeymoon”!

Our honeymoon bed

We had average luck with animal sightings in Etosha and spent the day cruising around. Leah learned how to drive a manual and killed it! We saw loads of zebra and lots of other fun stuff. After the day in Etosha, we headed back north towards the village. We had another… misadventure on the way. We were low on gas when leaving the park, but decided to make it to the first town to fill up since it would be cheaper than filling up in Etosha. Well, we made it to the first town, but the electricity was out so the pumps weren’t working. We did the only thing we could do… continued on and crossed our fingers! Leah and I learned on this trip that we panic the same way. When there’s a bad situation, we both just keep quiet and don’t talk about it until it’s over. No reason to insight panic in the other… there’s enough panic in each of our own internal monologues! Luckily enough, we (barely) made it to the following town. We both breathed a deep sigh of relief.





The next couple of days were spent in the village where I live called Oshikulufitu. We spent a lot of time with my host family, playing with the kids and relaxing and enjoying the simplicity of village life. We also went and visited my host granny, who speaks no English and lives an incredibly traditional life. When we got there, she was sitting on a woven mat under a tree weaving a basket. We sat with her while she and my sister Rachel caught up and Leah and I were entranced by granny’s dexterous weaving. We also went to town to get a skirt made for Leah! She got to experience the street harassment in town as well (fun!) and saw all my usual hangouts. It was really fun to have Leah see my life here and really get to know my family as well. Our village misadventure was almost getting the Polo stuck in the deep sand in the western side of our village. Oops. Good thing driving in sand is like driving in snow!

Rachel and Granny

My niece Tuwilika and Leah, aka Tuwilika's new bff

The sewing portion of the open market in Outapi

Traffic in the North of Namibia

After a few days of village life, it was time for us to start (yet another) road trip. Next destination: Victoria Falls! We decided to go to the Zambian side in Livingstone. Our first step was returning the rental car in Ondangwa, followed by hitchhiking to Eenhana (another town on the easternmost side of the region where I live) in order to find another hitchhike to Katima Mulilo, the last town at the tip of the panhandle in Namibia. In theme with the rest of the trip, we were bound to have at least one misadventure; we hoped it wouldn’t be before our coffee kicked in, but hey, you can’t win them all. The sun was barely up and we were driving on the highway to turn the car in and all of a sudden I realized that I was driving on the rim. I pulled off and we both got out to check the tire. We had a rear blowout! Again, Leah and I panic the same way. Our reaction was to keep quiet and get stuff done! We pulled out the spare, jacked up the car, loosened the bolts (seasoned tire changers will realize that this is in the wrong order… we now know that!), pulled off the literally burning hot tire, and popped the new one on. And then, of course, took a selfie! It was both of our first times changing a flat and I’m proud to say that we did it in 11 minutes!
A celebratory cider upon our arrival in Livingstone
Traffic Signs in Zambezi


We continued on our way and luckily didn’t have any other hiccups. We made it to Katima safely with someone who was driving that way. We crossed the border and started our journey in Zambia! It’s only 120 kilometers from the border to Livingstone, but there are so many awful potholes that the journey takes 3-4 hours. 3-4 hours in the back seat of a shared taxi with no AC isn’t the most comfortable thing in the world, but Leah and I were going for cheap!

Our first full day in Livingstone was spent white water rafting. We had SO MUCH FUN! There were a few times that we were both legitimately terrified, but that’s also what made it so much fun!! It was so so so worth it. The rapids were classes 1-4 and there were 27 in total. We were allowed to float a couple of the smaller rapids just swimming in the water, which was a blast.




The next day, we decided to swim at the top of the falls at Devil’s pool. It involved a ~1.5 hike through riverbeds and grassland to get to the island where you can swim. It was great to be so active for our time in Zambia, since we did so much sitting on the rest of the trip! Devil’s pool was crazy. And terrifying. And very cool. The good news was that we got to see the falls near the pool, so at least we didn’t leave Livingstone without actually seeing Victoria Falls… something we thought possible! Haha.



We headed out that afternoon to go back to Katima Mulilo, Namibia. Unfortunately, our taxi was stopped at nearly every police checkpoint and asked for a lot of money since it didn’t have the proper taxi paperwork. The process of negotiating the amount of money our driver had to pay the police took FOREVER, so the journey took about 5 hours this time. Gotta love corruption! As a result, the border post closed before we reached there, so we accidentally got stuck in Zambia. Gotta love misadventures! It wasn’t too big of a deal, though, as someone in our taxi helped us find a cheap place for the night.

A beautiful Zambian sunset


The next day, we continued our journey to Katima and then hitchhiked to Windhoek. It took a while to cross the border in the morning, so we worried that all the cars to Windhoek had already left… so it was a bit of a stressful time looking for a hike! Low and behold, we found one and all worked out.

The following day was our last day together. Single tear. (Let’s be real… many tears.) Leah’s boyfriend Albert was flying in to Windhoek to meet up with her for some travels and I was flying out of Windhoek to Johannesburg to meet up with my family for some travels. Our continued travel plans helped us to stay cheery on our departing day. We picked up lunch for an airport picnic with Albert. It was such a nice way to say goodbye to Leah and also a treat to get to visit with Albert as well!

All in all, we had such a memorable trip together. We got lots of time in the car to catch up and have life talks as well as many hilarious misadventures and planned adventures. Thank you so much, Leah, for coming to visit. I’ll never forget our trip together!

Miss you already!



Stay tuned for my next post about travels with my family in South Africa!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,