Skip to main content

Our South African Holiday

As I mentioned in my previous post, the very same day that Leah and I parted ways was the same day that I went to SA to meet up with my family. I am truly so, so lucky. I joked with some of my colleagues in December that since I am not going home during my service, I’m bringing America to Africa! Boy, did that feel true when I waited at the arrivals terminal for all six members of my immediate family to walk out of those sliding glass doors. I can’t express the excitement, joy, and love I felt watching my family members pass through the doors and come out into the arrivals atrium. First Andrew and Jo, and then after 30 minutes or so, my dad, mom, John, and Kelsey. I pretty much hug-tackled all of them. How could you do anything different when it’s the first time you’re all together in 1.5 years?!

It was my first time seeing my siblings (including siblings-in-law) since July/August 2015. It was my first time seeing my parents since May 2016. All in all, a huge excitement.

The gang, reunited :)
After all the hugging ended, we got transferred to another terminal where we were catching our little safari plane to bring us to our first lodge! (Yes. Safari plane. It was a bougie as it sounds and it was so much fun!) We stayed at a beautiful lodge called Ngala within Kruger National Park for two nights. We had absolutely amazing luck with animal sightings. Seriously, it was as if someone was hand-placing all the animals along our path so that we could find them! We saw hippos, several male lions, several female lions (some with cubs, some with cubs and a carcass), a lion couple mating (spoiler alert: it’s about a 6 second long event), a leopard hunting, loads of zebras, lots and lots of elephants, a civet, lots of impala (antelope), a crocodile, and probably a lot more things that I’m forgetting now. We also had the most beautiful breakfast in the bush one day. It was such a stunning setting and I’m so grateful to the staff for making the experience so magical for us. Our guide, Barney, was out of this world. So knowledgeable and experienced.

Barney and Steve, the dynamic duo




The mating lions pre-mating

A female leopard on the hunt
Wild (painted) dogs
After two unforgettable days at Ngala, we hopped on another tiny plane to bring us to Phinda, a private game reserve south of Kruger on the coast.  It was a much smaller lodge with a special charm. We had great luck with the weather at both lodges; just before our arrival, it was a brutal 40 degrees Celsius (~105F) and luckily cooled down to ~23C (~72F) within hours of our arrival. I guess the rest of the Nichols clan brought the cool weather along with them from Chicago and London!

Phinda is known for its cheetahs and we spotted three of them while there. We even spent most of one morning with two young male (sub-adult) cheetahs and enjoyed seeing how they spent their morning (lots of walking, investigating a catfish-filled pond [too scary for them], looking for unsuspecting prey). We also spent a bit of time one day tracking a herd of elephants. Our tracker was absolutely phenomenal and could guess the size of the herd based on tracks, hear them long before we could, guess how long it would take for them to arrive at the watering hole where we were waiting, etc. It was majorly impressive. On one drink stop, we all walked together a bit and he showed us how one of the tracks on the ground was from an elephant’s trunk dragging—it got tired of holding it up and let it drag for a bit. It was a nice reminder of the fact that we all see the world through such different eyes.


Isn't it amazing how well a cheetah can camouflage?  


Sometimes you need a mid safari nap 




Our guide, Amy, was so much fun and also really taught us a lot about what to look for when on safari. She clued us in to so many of the subtle signs to look for and animal behaviors so that we could also help in tracking! It was cool to feel like you sort of know how to look for animals in the bush! Kelsey and I joked that we now know how to track animals. We’re experts. (Not at all. We’d die in the bush.)


We also had a really impressive giraffe sighting where we watched three different males smell and try to mate with a female giraffe. She was quite dismissive and left the boys with each other, but nonetheless it was so amazing to watch these beautiful creatures interact.

Post butt sniffing, the giraffes posed for a picture!

I’d be remiss to not mention the phenomenal food at both Ngala and Phinda, but especially at Phinda. We did not feel the feeling of hunger for days on end! We were constantly stuffed to the gills but the food was so tantalizing that we just couldn’t resist! The chef was so considerate and even baked lots of gluten free breads, muffins, etc. for my dad and I.



We managed to squeeze in a bit of board game playing between all of the eating and the animal sightings at Phinda. It was so much fun to play board games with my brothers again. For those who don’t know them, they’re both HUGE board game nerds. It’s true… John has a board game room in their house. So, they’re a lot of fun to play with because we all take it very seriously.

After all the adventures at Phinda, it was time to say goodbye to the safari portion of our trip (and my new “sister” Amy, our guide) and head off to Cape Town, our final destination. Let me start off by saying if you’ve never been to Cape Town, put it on your list. My goodness was it an amazing city. When we arrived in Cape Town, we all hopped in a Toyota Quantum—our family’s car for the week! Here’s a picture so you can get a sense of how funny (and practical!) it was for the seven of us. (Note: These are the minibuses used for public transportation in Namibia, so it struck a particularly funny chord in me for that reason.)

Buckled in our Quantum, we headed to Camps Bay, the beautiful neighborhood on the ocean side of Cape Town where our Air BnB was located. The drive over the mountain and into Camps Bay, while full of traffic, is so beautiful. Seeing the stunning cliffs and mountains meeting the rolling hills of houses, meeting the ocean… did I mention how beautiful Cape Town is yet? Well, get used to it, because it won’t be the last time you hear me say it.

The Air BnB where we stayed was out-of-this-world beautiful! We so enjoyed the luxury, but most of all we enjoyed the amount of every day family interaction that staying in a house afforded us. We were able to chat over our morning coffee, cook together, and sit around the table and do a puzzle or play games together. (Oh, and the sunsets weren't half bad either!)

Even though the way I described our time in the house sounds slow-paced, our time in Cape Town certainly wasn’t. As I may or may not have mentioned, Cape Town is a pretty amazing city and there’s a lot to do—and we only had four days! In our short time there, we managed to see the penguins at Boulder’s Beach, hike Lion’s Head or  Table Mountain (our group split between the two hikes), have some of my PCV friends from Namibia come over to enjoy the pool at our Air BnB house, spend a whole day in wine country (priorities), and enjoy many phenomenal meals at fantastic restaurants.




On New Year’s Eve, we cooked a yummy dinner at home and hung out together and played board games. It was our final night together and it was the perfect way to spend it. Surrounded by good food, good wine, fun games, and my favorite people in the world. What more could a girl ask for?
To my family, thank you so much for making the effort. Thank you for “showing up,” as Nana used to say. Thank you for coming all this way to visit and have a Christmas together. I love you to the moon and back… 100 times!



Stay tuned for my next post on my parents’ visit to Namibia! (Yes, I did have the world’s longest vacation!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,