Skip to main content

A final farewell


The time finally came. After two years living in Namibia teaching full time at Oshikulufitu Combined School, my service has ended. It is amazing how fast it all went. On Friday, I had to say goodbye to all of my learners and colleagues… it was a very emotional day. The entertainment committee at school prepared a going away party with all of the colleagues for the afternoon after school got out. I wore my Oshiwambo meme dress and went to school both excited and deeply sad about saying goodbye to my learners and colleagues. I had a fun day taking loads of pictures with so many kids and saying a final farewell. I went into each of the grades that I taught during these past two years and said farewell to all of my kiddos and wished them all of the best in their futures. I also gave each one a sweet and a small note… they were thrilled about the sweet! A few of the learners stood up to give some short words of goodbye thanking me for being their teacher for two years and mentioned some of the things that they learned from me. I was thanked for teaching them how to read and write better, how to use the tenses in English and direct and indirect speech, and for being away from my family for two years to teach them. Several told me that they learned from me the importance of honesty and leading by example. A few told me that I am their role models. One of my favorite learners stood up and simply said, “We love you miss.” Wow. It was so rewarding to hear my learners telling me what they have learned.  It was really tough saying goodbye to such wonderful kids.  


Me and some of my grade 7 art learners





I was running around on Friday a bit like a chicken with my head cut off trying to take pictures, say goodbye to the kids, finish writing my farewell speech for the party (nothing has changed there… I’m still a procrastinator), and pass over all of my teaching materials to my colleagues who are taking over my English classes. Around 12, Mr. Abiatal, the chairperson of the entertainment committee, told me that he was about to call the learners to the assembly point for a small gathering and them release them from school early. I was surprised to hear that the learners were also getting an opportunity for a formal farewell. I went to sit outside (after scrambling to finish my speech and clean out my desk) for the event as was blown away from the beginning. Up on the wall was a typed sign saying “Farewell to Ms Christy, thank you very much Ms. Christy you are the best. God bless you and be with you forever. We will not forget you.” I was instantly touched by the thoughtfulness. The learners slowly gathered and the ceremony began with the singing of the Namibian national anthem and the African union anthem. I started getting emotional during each of them as I realized that it was likely the last time that I would be singing my two new anthems. The line of the anthem that says “Namibia our country” is the one that particularly got me. It’s hard to believe that my adopted host country is about to not be my home anymore.

 

After the formal opening of the ceremony, the school choir came to sing. Again, I was completely blown away. They sang three songs, two of which they learned specially for the event and included my name in the songs. The lyrics of one of the songs in Oshiwambo were: “A big thanks we are giving to Miss Christy, she came to teach us for more than two years, thank you, thank you Miss Christy.” Another’s lyrics: “Go, go, Miss Christy. Go with peace, our hearts are filled with joy. Have a safe journey.” I was in tears by their thoughtfulness and singing. It was so beautiful and heartwarming. Even as I write this now, I am tearing up again.



The school choir, Bergitta, Mr. Itumba, and me


After the choir performed, I was asked to give a speech to the learners. As I didn’t know the event was happening, I wasn’t prepared, but gave a short impromptu speech motivating the learners once again to keep studying hard and work hard to fulfill their dreams, thanking them for welcoming me into their school and for their good work, and reminding them once again that each and every learner is important and smart and deserving of love and respect. (And, of course, that I will miss them, never forget them, and love them.) I got quite emotional during my speech and shed some tears.

 

Next up were speeches from four learners. Some highlights: “God bless you and I will pray for you as you get back to your country. I love you Miss Christy.” And “I thank you for your motivation and for the good things you have done. I want to thank you because you have improved my English studying. The grade 8s, we are not feeling good because you are leaving and we are no more going to see your face.” And “You told us to be honest and to lead the fellow learners through example. Thank you.” And, “No one will make fun with us and motivate us as you did when you are going back.” Lastly, “We will remember the good times that we have been with you. I want thank you for all the good things you have done to me and the important and good thing you have done to me is that you have really improved my English studies.” The tears continued, of course. I was humbled by my learners’ words.



A few of my colleagues also made some short speeches thanking me for the value that I added to the school. The ceremony then concluded (but not the waterworks!). The learners were then released and the staff members stayed on for our braai (bbq) after school. Two fellow PCVs, Ben C and Mandeep, came to join in the festivities, as did my host parents Tate David, MeeJusty, and my sister Shekupe (aka Rachel). My principal gave a speech about Peace Corps’ philosophy for development and how I followed it throughout my service. He also thanked me for teaching at our school, for the programs I got our school involved in (S2L & Camp GLOW) and thanked my parents and their friends for donating books to our school. Next, I gave my long speech to all of my colleagues and host family in which I thanked each of them individually for what they have done for me and my favorite memories with all of them. I sobbed my way though it and had to stop a few times because I could read through my tears. I am so truly and deeply thankful to my school and community for welcoming a foreigner into their lives and hearts. The friendship, advice, and memories will not be forgotten. Onda pandula uneeeene. Oshili! (I’m hugely grateful. Really!) My colleague Mr. Abiatal and my sister Shekupe came to stand with me and support me during my speech. Shekupe was crying at least as hard as I was (if not harder), so that made it all the more beautiful and challenging! After I finished, Shekupe also gave a speech where she thanked me for my companionship, for teaching her about another culture, and for being able to talk to me about anything. She truly became family in these past two years and we will both miss each other deeply.

 

After the waterworks, we moved on to the braai and enjoyed great food prepared lovingly by my colleagues Veronica, Eufemia, Bergitta, Tuccoh, and others. We also enjoyed great music put on by Mr. Abiatal (aka DJ Giggz) and talked, danced, and sang the night away. We stayed at school until 10pm! I then went to my female colleagues’ house where five of them stay together. We chatted for another hour or two and hung out on Maria’s bed just enjoying our last hours together. We then shifted locations to my house for them to help me pack by taking the things that I was leaving behind. We kept the chats and laughing up for another hour or two until a few colleagues went back home. My dear friend and colleague Eufemia stayed behind a bit longer and we had a wonderful chat where we both expressed sincere gratitude to each other for our friendship. It was so beautiful.




 

The next morning, I woke up and frantically packed up my whole house in 3.5 hours and said my final goodbyes. It was a great surprise to have my neighbor MeeAnna around that morning as well so we could say a final goodbye since she had to leave the party early. Her words were so sweet; she told me that she has worked with volunteers at other schools for many many years and that I was different from the others. She said, “You are an African. You adapted to our culture and to our traditions and you lived among us as one of us. You really were a part of us here. You eat our food, you speak our language, and you are with us. You have such a big heart. We love you and will never forget you.” My goodness. I was so touched by her words and the words of so many of my other colleagues. I am so humbled by their words.

 

Thank you, Oshikulufitu.

Thank you, Namibia.

Thank you, Peace Corps.

 

 It has been an incredible (incredibly challenging, incredibly eye opening, incredibly interesting) two years. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of it.

 

To those back home, thank you as well for being such a big part of my service.

 

Thank you to everyone who sent me care packages as a physical representation of support at love (Aunt Cristy, Aunt Mary, Mom and Dad, Andrew, Armando & the C&D family, the Tex ladies, Aunt Ann, the Mullin-Henry’s, etc.).

 

Thank you to everyone who supported Camp GLOW through donations (Mom & Dad, Marissa, Leah, Lynn and Tom, Nikki, Ellen, Saucy, Mrs. Deuster, Mrs. Fischer, Andrew, Catharine D, Terri A, Sandy & Mike, & Paula).

 

Thank you to everyone who donated towards the books purchased for our school’s library. The kids love the books!

 

Thank you to everyone who offered me words of encouragement and support along the journey (way too many to name here!).

 

Thank you to everyone who came to visit; it is so special to me that you understand a bit of my world and my life here in Namibia (Mom & Dad, Andrew, Jo, John, Kelsey, Leah, Marissa, Saucy, and Alison).

 

 Thank you, thank you, thank you. As my learners said in their song, my heart is filled with joy. I am so grateful.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you