Skip to main content

"So how are you feeling about coming/going home?"

Greetings, all.

It's been a while! I've been doing my best in these last months to savor every minute left in Namibia. Now the time has finally come and my two years of Peace Corps service are nearly finished. Some days, COS (Close of Service aka the end) felt like it couldn't come soon enough; others, I have spent truly happy and at ease. I am now in my final week in our village. I depart Oshikulufitu to head to the capital for processing out on Sunday. I'll be in Windhoek for a few more days before beginning my whirlwind two months of travels before my eventual return to the States.

Now, back to the title of my post. A question I've been getting a lot lately (from fellow PCVs, friends back home, and family alike) is some variation of "So how are you feeling about coming/going home?" Whoo. That's a big question. My tl;dr version is "All the feels." But as my blog readers well know by now, I'm longwinded. So, I'm here to give you the long version.

To be honest, the first thing that comes in my mind when someone asks me how I feel about coming home is that I already am home. Leaving Oshikulufitu will be leaving home. So as for leaving Oshikulufitu... I'm feeling heartbroken. It's really hard for me to wrap my head around leaving home for good and not knowing if/when I'm ever coming back. And knowing for sure that it'll never feel the same even if I do. When I left the USA to come to Namibia, it was so tough, but yet I knew that I would be back in ~2 years' time. This time around, I can't say the same. At the same time, life in Namibia has some real challenges– including the 10000 degree heat (this may only be slight hyperbole), the near-constant harassment, not having any form of reliable transport, the loneliness, etc.– that I will be thrilled to leave behind. However, overall, it is incredibly sad and difficult to be leaving my home in Oshikulufitu village. I have been welcomed into the school and village communities with open arms by learners, colleagues, and families alike. People have gone out of their way on dozens and dozens of occasions to help me out, take care of me, and look out for me. I will sorely miss the warm-hearted, loving community here in our village. (I'm not crying, you're crying! Ok, fine, it's me.)

On a different side of the coin, I am so excited to be geographically close(r) to so many of my cherished friends and family members back in the States. As I write this, I'm picturing sitting in my parents' living room on the couches around the fire with loads of family and friends, feeling the love between us all. Now I'm picturing sitting around tables in a bar chatting with friends. I can't wait to catch up with and be around some of the most important people in my life. At the same time, I'm also nervous about reverse culture shock and how reintegrating into American life will go. I've been told not to go to Costco for a while after I get back! Apparently it can be a pretty overwhelming process for the majority of PCVs... I know from my own experience that returning home after Barcelona was a really tough process because Barcelona had also become my home. I know that time will fix all, but am nonetheless a bit anxious about that process.

And AGAIN, I'm also feeling really excited about traveling for two months after I COS in Namibia. I'll be traveling to Mozambique, Malawi, South Africa (Cape Town), London, Paris, Spain (Barcelona, Orihuela, Galicia), Portugal, London (again), Prague, and finally.... Chicago! I'm so excited to do a bit more traveling within Southern Africa and explore cultural differences between Namibia and Moz/Malawi. I'm ecstatic to see so many loved ones in Europe (Andrew & Jo, Emily, Diana, Alison, Pili, Maria & the whole Sanchez family, and maybe a few more along the way!). But, I'm also a bit apprehensive about 2 whole months of traveling and living out of a backpack. I've never traveled for anywhere near that long before! But I guess somehow I'll manage ;)

 So, yeah, now you know exactly what I mean by "all the feels." It really is a crazy mess of emotions. Notice that I didn't even begin to touch on job hunting and such back in America... I'm calling that a future problem. Too much to think about now! Friday is my last day with my learners and my colleagues. I'm going to be such a mess. I'm so lucky to have loved and been loved in return by so many wonderful people in Namibia.

I'll leave you with a few pictures of my learners and I... they've been requesting photos all week.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you