Skip to main content

Beginning of Term 2

Hi again!

Look at this, two posts in one week! I’m trying to make up for my severe dearth of posts these past few months.

Term 2 started on May 30th. Prior to the start of term, I had a quick trip to Swakopmund for a meeting for GAIN (Gender Awareness in Namibia), a committee that I’m on within Peace Corps. As a committee, we are very busy planning a camp called Camp GLOW (Girls and Guys Leading Our World). Camp GLOW will take place in August, during the 1 week holiday. Camp GLOW happens in many Peace Corps countries world-wide, but each camp is a bit unique. For Namibia’s Camp, we focus on developing leadership skills, emotional intelligence, communication, and teamwork, fostering equality across genders and tribes, and setting goals for the future. I am co-planning and co-facilitating leadership day with Steffi, an awesome PCV! Camp GLOW has been going on for many years and is a life-changing experience for the 44 schoolchildren who are selected to attend. In order to make Camp GLOW accessible to all communities within Namibia, we make everything for camp free of charge. The kids who come don’t have to pay for transport to Windhoek, accommodation, food, etc. However, in order for this to happen, we need help! We have already done a great deal of fundraising within Namibia, but we aren’t quite at our goal yet. If you’re able to donate (no matter how big or small!), please consider investing in developing Namibian youth. It would mean so much to me if you can help fund our fantastic camp!


Alright, the solicitation is done now, I promise. On to talk about the start of Term 2! I had a really great first week back at school. To be honest, I wasn’t really feeling ready to start teaching again. But, those feelings quickly subsided once I was back in the classroom with my awesome learners! They completed Behavior and Academic Performance Contracts where they also had to write their goal grade for Term 2. We went through their report from last term one-on-one and both signed the contract together with their expectations for the term. I am so excited about these contracts and their goals (and also excited to be able to waive a contract back at them if they aren’t fulfilling their end of the deal!). The kids were really serious and behaving well during the first week. They seem very ready to conquer term 2 and I feel the same. Get this— a few of my classes requested that I give them MORE homework this term! You can rest assured Miss Christy will be doing just that J

I also started a new classroom management method last week-- "Learner of the Week!" In each class, we came up with a list of behaviours that the LOTW will exhibit (e.g.: on time, does homework, not absent, participates, behaves well, sits properly, wears uniform properly, etc.). The rewards for being learner of the week are as follows: 1) A certificate! (Namibians love certificates for some reason) 2) Some sort of food item-- either a piece of fruit (if I have it that week) or some sweets! 3) A pen from America! 

When I announced the LOTW in all four of my classes last week, one thing was universal among them-- extreme excitement!! A few of the kids ran around the room, fist pumping, showing off their certificates. Some were a bit more subdued, but all were equally proud and eThank you Sandra and Lynn for the pens! I wish you could have seen the looks on their faces when I told them that the pen was from America. They held it in their hands as if it were gold! 

This week, grade 7s started to read the book Holes! It's definitely a challenge for them, but I think they’ll really enjoy it. So far, they like the book, but I think they're a bit discouraged by how many words are unfamiliar to them and how slow it's going... just trying to remind myself everyday (because I'm also slightly discouraged by how many words they don't know) that slow and steady wins the race! 

I haven’t decided on a book for grade 6 yet. I'm currently planning to go with the book Frindle, but if you have other suggestions, I'm open to them! 

Non-school related highlight of the week: Picking up a skirt I had made by a local seamstress with fabric I bought in Tanzania! It looks awesome and I can't wait to wear it! 


That’s all for now! Have a fantastic day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,