Skip to main content

Good days & bad days

Anywhere you live in the world and any job you work at, you will always have good days and bad days. But somehow, the bad days as a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) seem particularly bad and the good days particularly good. During my time as a PCV, I have felt some of the highest of highs of my life and some of the lowest of lows.

On my blog, I normally write about the good and the routine. However, today I’m writing about the bad! Today was an awful day at school. Yesterday, I had a great lesson with each section of grade 6 all about how to write a friendly letter. I was so happy and had so much fun and they really really seemed to understand the content—a success of a lesson! I had such high hopes for today and was excited to see the letters that grade 6 wrote as homework. Things took a turn for the worse when I went around this morning to check their homework… in section 6A, 12 of the 22 learners either copied their letter from the examples in the textbook or didn’t write a letter at all. And in 6B, 15 out of 22 copied or didn’t do it. That meant that only 17 out of 44 grade 6 learners did their homework. 38.6% of them. Woof. I spent the lesson thanking the learners who did their work while having those that copied re-do it and also write lines as punishment for not doing their work. I was  so disappointed, upset, and sad. Culturally, copying isn’t seen as being such a terrible thing here in Namibia as it is in America. I tried to explain to the learners that copying is a form of lying and it is not okay at all. Copying isn’t something that honest and good people do, which means that it’s not something they should be doing because I know they’re all smart and good people.

After a disappointing morning with the grade 6’s*, I went to grade 7B, ready to hear their presentations of profiles of characters in the book we are reading, Holes. To my extreme disappointment, they did not prepare well at all. Their posters weren’t finished and they didn’t prepare what each person in the group was going to talk about. Needless to say, I got back up on my figurative soapbox and expressed my disappointment in the learners’ work for a third time in one day. Yeesh. It was not a nice position to be in for either myself or the learners, that’s for sure. But let’s hope that the message was received and that this won’t be a problem that we encounter again. Fingers crossed!

(*My first lesson was with grade 7A and it was actually a very nice lesson. The day started out great, but went downhill quickly. So, it wasn’t all bad, but the good was certainly a bit overshadowed.)


My apologies for turning my blog into a journal today. To my fellow teachers out there… you certainly know how it is.  Some days are rough and sometimes you need to vent! Now it’s time to go for a run to relax. Oshi li wete! (See you!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,