Skip to main content

May Holiday

Hi all!

I hope that this blog post finds you very well. I am doing great!

My apologies for the lack of updates—it’s been a busy couple of months! School just started up again after a month long break. It was a much needed and incredibly enjoyable break. I started out by traveling to the deep south of Namibia with a group of 7 other volunteers to hike Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world! We hiked the ~70 kilometers in four days, carrying all of our gear with us. In order to cut weight, we decided to ditch our tents and camp primal, under the stars. It was an amazing decision… falling asleep looking up at a Namibian sky is unlike anything else. The hike itself was challenging, as we decided to cut out a day of the hike and do it in 4 days instead of the typical 5 days. The terrain alternated between watermelon-sized loose boulders and deep, deep sand. Needless to say, you can’t cover the kms too quickly! While the hike was a challenge on my muscles, the true challenge was for my feet. Unfortunately, my boots didn’t fit me very well, and I ended up with about 10 blisters by the end of the second day and about 25 by the third. For the last two days of the hike, every step was excruciating. But, because of my awesome friends and their saint-like patience, I hobbled my way along. By the last 1.5 days, my feet were so bad that my friends even opened up my pack and divided the heavy items among the seven of them in order to keep extra weight off of my feet. It was really humbling and incredibly kind of them. I felt really bad having them carrying my share, but also knew that it was the best thing for the group so that I could carry on. It was an interesting experience for me to have because I’m used to being the one to help others when they’re struggling in physical endeavors. For example, in cycling, I usually volunteer to “pull” for the group and take the brunt of the wind when others are struggling. In swimming, I would often go first to set the pace when others were tired. Not being able to pull my own weight while backpacking was difficult for me, but a good experience. Despite the challenges, it was a phenomenal hike. I had so much fun and grew very close with the seven other volunteers. I certainly chose a difficult hike for my first backpacking trip, but it won’t be my last—that’s for sure!

At the start of the trail!

The end of day 1

Some of the rocky terrain we worked across

After Fish River, I waddled my sore feet onto an airplane and traveled over to Tanzania! I have two friends who are PCVs in Tanzania; Caitlin is a friend from Glenview (home) and Elyssa is a friend from University of Illinois. I realized a few months ago that May was going to be the last school break that Cait & E were both still in Tanzania, so I decided that I’d visit them then! Shortly after my decision, I was talking to my dad one Sunday afternoon and told him about my plans. He (nearly) immediately responded, “Wow, that sounds awesome! Can I come too?” to which I obviously responded with a resounding “Yes!!!” My mom also decided to hop on board our crazy plan! I was so excited for the trip, knowing I’d see my parents, who I hadn’t seen in roughly 10 months, Caitlin, who I hadn’t seen in almost four years, and Elyssa, who I hadn’t seen in two years. I met up with my parents in Dar Es Salaam. My flight got in a few hours before theirs and I was waiting for them outside of security when they got in… I caught of glimpse of them while they were collecting their bags and had such a flutter of excitement run though me! It was so, so wonderful seeing their smiling faces and giving them a bunch of big hugs after so long without seeing each other. After a quick overnight in Dar, we hopped on a ferry to Zanzibar, where Cait lives in her third year as a PCV. Seeing Caitlin was so wonderful after so long!! We had a fantastic time with her, seeing the natural beauty of Zanzibar (beautiful teal water, white sandy beaches, tropical forest, etc.) and also getting a window into her life in Zanzibar. She showed us one of the hospitals where she works as a liaison between women in the maternity department and HIPZ (Health Improvement Project Zanzibar), an NGO dedicated to lowering the startlingly high maternal mortality rates on the island. It was really enlightening and humbling to see one of the local hospitals. It didn’t look like any hospital I had ever seen (in fact, it looked like an older Namibian school to me) and certainly made me appreciate how developed Namibia really is. In addition, Cait showed us their beautiful volunteers’ flat in Stone Town that had an absolutely stunning rooftop terrace. If I were Cait, I certainly know how I’d spend every Sunday afternoon :)  It was so wonderful getting to visit Caitlin and catch up. But, all good things must come to an end—our lovely visit with Cait came to an end when we hopped back on board the ferry and traveled back to the mainland.

Cait giving us a tour of the hospital

Cait and I-- all smiles! 

After an eventful mix-up with the car rental agency in Dar Es Salaam, we finally got on the road to head towards Lushoto (where Elyssa lives) around 11am. Google maps told us that the drive was about 6 hours, so we weren’t too worried. Well… google maps doesn’t take into account that the speed limit is reduced every ~4km while passing through villages or all of the traffic—pedestrian, bike, tuk tuk, etc.— in the shoulder. When it was nearly dark and we hadn’t even started the windy, narrow ascent up the mountain, we were certainly nervous! We eventually arrived in Lushoto and certainly slept well after a stressful day of driving. The next morning, we got in the car again (this time with Elyssa as our guide and translator!) and headed out towards Mtae, which is the last village at the end of the road at the western edge of the Usambara mountains. We stayed at Mambo Cliff Inn, a lodge literally build on the cliff of the mountain range where we could see out into a beautiful, expansive, green valley. We also hiked up to the top of the neighboring cliff where we could see into Kenya and see Kilimanjaro (though the fog hid pretty much the whole thing). We had a fun night around the campfire because the lush mountains are quite cold* in the evenings during the winter!

The amazing view at Mambo (& the great local wine!)

*Note: Cold for those who have adapted to living in the 100+ degree heat for most of the year. For my mom and dad, the weather was maaaaybe “cool.” For Elyssa and I, it merited wearing every item of clothing that we had at once, plus a hat and gloves.

After a night at Mambo, we headed back to Lushoto town to see the vibrant market and tour the town. My mom might not have used the word “vibrant” to describe the market… her word choice may have been something closer to “claustrophobia-inducing” :P It was a bit chaotic for my liking as well, but we got some AMAZING avocados there and I also got some fabric for a new skirt. It was a fruitful endeavor! (Yes, pun intended.)

We spent the evening at a farm lodge up a bit outside of Lushoto and enjoyed their farm-to-table food and the beautiful views! After leaving the lodge in the morning, we went to Elyssa’s village for a quick visit before getting on the road back to Dar. E’s village is absolutely stunning. It’s nestled in an incredibly green and fertile valley. It may be a challenge for her to get in and out of the village, but I’d say it certainly has its pros as well! After a quick breakfast and coffee at E’s, we jumped back in the car and started our game of “try not to run over all the people in the shoulder of the road” again! The trip back was much smoother and less stressful. After we got back into Dar, we took a taxi back towards the airport, as my parents’ flight out was that night. I was leaving in the morning, so they dropped me off at an airport hotel and then headed out! It was really difficult saying goodbye (I swear, it felt like my heart drove off in that taxi!) but it was made much easier knowing that they’re coming for another visit for Christmas. I can’t wait to see my WHOLE immediate family in South Africa for Christmas and New Years! So many hugs! So much fun! I’m excited already!!

Elyssa and I in her beautiful village 

Ok, that’s certainly long enough for one post! Next up: Beginning of Term 2!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Site announcement!

Hi all!  I found out my permanent site yesterday and also had my final language proficiency test-- big day!  I'll be in Onhokolo village (population somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand) in the Omusati region! The closest town is Outapi, which is 25 km from the village. Outapi is almost to Angola in NW Namibia. Do a Google Maps search of "Outapi, Omusati, Namibia" for an idea of where I'll be! I'll be living in a teacher's flat with two other (female) teachers from the school and having a "foster family" next door. The flat has running water inside, along with electricity, a flushing toilet, and a shower! Posh Corps life! I'll be teaching grades 8-10 English and the school has many sports teams and wants me to start a garden and give computer literacy seminars. The community also wants me to be involved in the Heath outreach group, as many community members lack information about basic healthcare. I'm really excited by the secondary projects th

SO worth it and SO proud!

Some days start out well.  On other days, like today, you get stung by a stinging ant within the first 20 minutes of waking up and it stings all day long.  However, the start of the day isn't always indicative of how the rest of the day will be. And today, that was so very true. I got the BEST NEWS EVER today! As I was leaving grade 7A and was carrying on to grade 6A's classroom for their lesson, I asked for someone from 7A to please bring the class set of textbooks back to my desk. One of the brightest learners in the class, Anatolia, jumped up for the task. We had to walk the same direction for a bit and as I was turning off to go to grade 6A's class, she quickly said, "Miss!," in order to stop me. I turned, a bit surprised, and asked, "Yes, Anatolia?" Here's what she told me next: "Miss, I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a phone call and I was awarded the scholarship to attend school in Windhoek. So I want to thank you

Flooding

Hey friends, fam, and curious strangers! What's new with you? (If I don't know the answer to this question, please reach out! I miss you!) At the moment, there's a lot new with me. Hence the blog post! First and foremost, I have been evacuated from my site at Oshikulufitu Combined School in Omusati region in Namibia. The flooding from above average rainfalls has resulted in areas of the village that have standing water above the knee. The water started accumulating in earnest mid February and has been steadily increasing in severity since then.  Flooding on the walk between school and the road Flooding in Oshakati town In the northern parts of Namibia, we have what are called "oshanas"-- areas of low lying and hard packed soil that become seasonal pans. The oshanas are the first place to flood. We have one enormous oshana in front of our school on the way to the tar road. This oshana was filled knee deep on 17 February. In between the oshanas,